Monday, October 18, 2010

A whole new world..first visit to a virtual classroom

I just had a very interesting and memorable session in a virtual classroom at 4 o'clock on a Friday afternoon. Ten minutes before the time. I was sitting there waiting for my classmates (would have liked to call them virtual, but they're not) to arrive, with their names slowly appearing on the screen before me. I felt like I was in Kindergarten once again- uncertain and shy of what lies ahead. I had to re-learn to raise my "hand" to be given the chance to speak, to "smile" when happy with things and to draw objects on the whiteboard, all these with the click of the mouse. Call me naive, inexperienced, immature- but that's exactly how I felt.

I am a neophyte in the virtual world. I only know the basics of using email and chat for online learning. I didn't realise there's a whole new world of learning out there in a virtual classroom. I was amazed that I was interacting with people from places around New South Wales and South Australia of which I haven't been to and haven't heard of. It's gonna be an exciting 6 weeks of new discoveries and fun! I don't mind feeling like a kindergarten student for now as long as I know I'll slowly progress into maturity with all these online eye openers...

5 comments:

  1. Lovely description of your experience of joining with people online Clarissa. I can remember this experience from back in 2004 - and with some of the same people. You will have a great tiome and thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Clarissa,

    Great blog and title 'Online Eye Openers' :-)

    I really enjoyed reading your first impressions of virtual conferencing. I engage in Virtual conferencing on a weekly basis and I still get a kick out of online connections. My most exotic would have to be the Carribean Islands! But just as fun to connect with Sharon from Dareton who knows of my inlaws or you saying Dot says 'Hi'.

    Tomorrow in 23 Things we cross 3 time zones.

    CYU online
    Viv

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Ms Clarissa
    I am zero when it comes to these blogs and things, but will pick up soon. I am slowly getting back to work routine after my 3 months break / recovery.
    You are doing great, keep it up and!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your comments. I was happy with myself for having created a blog, but even much happier now that I have read your comments. I now believe that blogging helps me to reflect on my online learning and experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made a great start here Clarissa. Maybe you can return to being active in this space when you find a use for it.....

    ReplyDelete